Sunday, July 27, 2014

embroidered mandala

embroidered mandala

I finished my embroidered mandala. I've been a little uninspired to embroider anything lately, so I decided to do this one in all one color, navy blue on lavender fabric.
When I was done, it still needed something. So, I experimented with adding some color to the fabric with watercolors, combining my two favorite art media!

mandala fabric painting

I didn't have any real plan, other than to create a sort of tie-dye, batik look. I wet down the whole thing, then just added lots of color here and there. After the first round, I let it dry and decided it needed more color, so I painted it again.

embroidered mandala close up

I like how it turned out! I'm guessing the colors would fade or disappear if I washed this, but it's great for art pieces. Using watercolor on fabric is unpredictable and it bleeds a lot. So if you try this technique, try not to be too stuck on any idea of the end result, just play around and have fun.

If you missed it, this is a new PDF pattern that's available in my shop! 

AND, I'm giving away free patterns to whoever finishes stitching up this pattern first. (Contest details here.) So if you're looking for something new to embroider, go snatch this pattern and join in. (It's half price right now!) Good luck and happy stitching.

xo aimee

6 comments:

  1. This would look beautiful done in henna on the back of a hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you have done this....and I've just purchased the pattern, which looks lovely. I'll have to wait for some light to shine through a window to start, otherwise I would get going on it tonight.

    A quick question though. Just before purchase went through I had to click on something to agree to waiving my rights to European distance selling. I was happy to do it. I am thinking it is just because it is a PDF and they are non returnable, but could you confirm that it is the reason? I would hate etsy to be implementing that as a general rule across the board - at least for sellers in Europe. I would respect seller's policy in other countries however. It's definitely a new thing. I appreciate you may not know the answer but I thought I would ask.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, Thanks for purchasing the pattern! I'd love to see it when you're done. :)
      Yes I believe you're right about the distance selling thing, I don't know all the details for sure.

      Delete
  3. Oh and inspired by your fabric painting, I might do a bit of hippy tie and die, to make an effect that is more permanent. Haven't done that since school - excited about doing it!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful work of art! The watercolor work is stunning! I don't have time to stitch one up at the moment, with a new job and finishing projects for my nieces birthday, but I do like to imagine the colors I could use. Your colors are always divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza! This one was especially relaxing for me to stitch. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love hearing from you! :)